Once known as Cedar Grove, the grounds exhibit the eclecticism common at the time if its origin, the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century: an English park-like lawn, ornamental trees, large bordered flower beds and a Japanese Garden, which also reflect the original owners interests and travels.
Today, a variety of magnificent trees, now fully mature, are the greatest asset of the property: cooper beech, ginkgo, pine, false cypress, and Japanese maple are but a few. Mock orange, hydrangeas, and lilacs frame the foundation of the house as they did in earlier years.
The flower beds, always a focal point on the plateau across from the portico were restored by the Women's Club of Danbury New/Fairfield, Inc. from 1990 – 1992. The Albert W. and Helen C. Meserve Memorial Foundation provided the funding. Originally installed by Mrs. C.D. Parks according to a design by Mr. Joseph Fearn, an English trained gardener in the tradition of Miss Gertrude Jekyll, the series of compartments which led to a grape arbor, contained over one dozen species of perennials and family favorites including: china asters, roses, dahlias, peonies, phlox, and iris. In the 1930's Mrs. Parks edged the compartments with low boxwoods, following the Williamsburg influence.
Ivy, myrtle, and forsythia form a backdrop to the gardens on the edge of the woods.