In response to the growing interest in renting the Red Barn and adjacent lawn area for events, the following rental information, rules and regulations have been put in place. There are a few guidelines that are specifically for Cross Country races, 5K’s, fundraising walks and the like. The rest apply to the both the aforementioned events as well as all other types of celebrations.
Red Barn Area Use for Charity Events
In regards to Cross Country races, 5k’s, fundraising walks and the like:
- At no time can the mansion driveway, the upper parking lot, the area around the Mansion, the Apple Orchard or the front lawn be used. This area is strictly off limits.
- Only 2 vehicles are allowed behind our maintenance shed for the event organizers/coaches. All others must park in the parking lots. Any others will be towed. The tenant in the Farmhouse has come in on occasion to have no parking left and also most of the lawn areas along his driveway taken. This is NO longer allowed in any way. Please advise your volunteers, parents, students, etc… of this policy.
- The area behind the Maintenance Building, falls under the use of our tenant in the Farmhouse and other than the above mentioned 2 vehicles, CAN NOT be used for any part of the event. Cross Country races that used to end their races by circling the Maintenance Building, should make the appropriate course changes.
- When considering your event times please bear in mind that on weekends, event participants should be off premises by 11:00 am with event staff wrapping up by 12 noon. This allows us to maximize the rental of the Mansion areas for the afternoon. Weekday cross-country races are held between 3 pm – 6 pm. If you anticipate different times, please contact the office to discuss.
All Red Barn Area Events
The information listed below refers to all events being held in the Red Barn area including the events listed above. Please call the Park office at 203-744-3130 to learn more about Red Barn Area rentals and fees.
Required For Rental: Caterer’s current Food Service License or Hold Harmless Agreement if bringing your own food. Host Liquor Liability Insurance if serving alcohol. Insurance can be purchased through the online resource: theEventHelper.com
Included in Rental: Access to the downstairs bathrooms: men and women’s complete with toilet paper, hand napkins, soap, garbage cans. Also included in the rental is the lawn area directly behind the Red Barn.
Not Included in Rental: Tables, chairs, linens, dinnerware, glassware, tent.
- The Tarrywile Park Authority is not responsible for personal belongings.
- The use of charcoal grills is prohibited, gas only grilling is allowed. We do not have the facilities for dumping hot charcoal.
- This area has limited electrical plugs. Please plan accordingly if you will be having items that need to be plugged in.
- Parking is limited so plan accordingly: lower parking lot accommodates 30 cars; the lower parking overflow lot accommodates 19 cars.
- If your event anticipates using tents, they must be pre-approved with the Tarrywile Office.
- Any event using a tent over 100 sq. ft. must contact the City of Danbury Building Department to determine if they need to pull a tent permit. The Building Departments number is 203-797-4580.
- Large tents that do require permits must be installed on Thursday so that the City can inspect them. Likewise, they must be installed during our normal Park staff hours of Monday through Thursday 8:30 – 4:00 pm.
- Pop up tents that are 10×10 and smaller, that will be installed the day of the event and taken down the same day do not need prior approval.
- Events anticipating rental deliveries such as tables, chairs, etc., must bear in mind we have a very limited space to store those items overnight. They may be delivered between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:00 pm (Monday thru Friday) to the Red Barn. You will need to make prior arrangements to access this building as it is locked except when in use. If you are anticipating putting these rentals under a tent overnight, please note we have no security to guarantee the condition of these items.
- Large events must provide a diagram for approval to the Tarrywile office of how they anticipate the area will be set-up at least one month prior to the event.
- Large events are STRONGLY encouraged to have enough volunteers to have several located in the entry area and lower parking lot to direct people to parking and the location of the event. Adequate signage should also be installed the day of the event and taken down the same day. Certain events have been large enough that we are unable to provide adequate parking. You may need to consider shuttle parking from another location. On rare occasions, groups can contact Immaculate High School to see if they are able to utilize their parking areas. However that is an arrangement between IHS and you or your group. Tarrywile does not make arrangements for this. In these instances, we strongly encourage the use of a Danbury Police Officer to help people get across the road. You or your group must pay for this service and book the officer. You would call the police station at 203-797-4614 and ask to be directed to the officer in charge of special duty. Another option is to hire security staff from R.R. Protective Services; (860) 350-5130. This is your responsibility and you must pay for this service.
- The use of fireworks, sparklers, torches, Chinese Wish Lanterns, flares, or other such open flames such as fire pits is strictly prohibited in and around the Red Barn, the grounds and under tents.
- Use of drones, kites, rockets, and remote controlled airplanes or helicopters is NOT allowed as we are within the flight path of Danbury Airport per FAA regulations.
- Only 2 vehicles are allowed behind our maintenance shed for the unloading/loading items for your picnic/event, once done you must park in the overflow lot or lower parking lot.
- The area behind the Maintenance Building falls under the use of our tenant in the Farmhouse and other than the above mentioned 2 vehicles CAN NOT be used for any part of the event.
- At no time are any vehicles allowed beyond the gates next to the maintenance shed or by the overflow parking lot. This is a public park and the areas not included in your rental are open to park users who will be walking through.
- At no time can the gravel driveways that run from the lower parking lot down past the Red Barn and out to the trails be blocked off. This area must remain open at all times for Emergency Vehicles.
- There are a limited number of garbage cans in the Red Barn area, our staff is not in charge of emptying those out during your event. You, the User, is in charge of this. There is a dumpster located in the upper Mansion Parking Lot and the garbage should be dumped in those dumpsters. You may need to bring in additional garbage cans depending on the size of the event. Likewise, your group needs to provide the liners for those cans. Failure to dispose of the garbage could result in the forfeiture of your security deposit.
The bathrooms must be picked up, garbage emptied and left in broom swept condition.
For complete information on Red Barn Rental for all events please download and read the Rental Packets below.